Latin at Stockwell
Our KS2 pupils take part in a weekly Latin lesson following the 'Maximum Classics' scheme of work. Through these lessons, our pupils:
- write Latin words, phrases and sentences to communicate meaning
- develop an appreciation of the Latin language and culture
- develop an understanding of etymology and the relevance of this and the words we use in modern English
- increase their knowledge and understanding of English grammar and spelling
The Latin curriculum is carefully mapped out, considering some of the following:
- Are we enabling children to understand and respond to spoken and written language from a range of authentic sources?
- How is the learning of new vocabulary developed? Do lessons facilitate the exploration of the interplay between Latin and English vocabulary?
- Is the curriculum planned in accessible step-by-step manner so children can build on previous learning?
- Are we enabling children to remember what is most important?
- How do Latin lessons support the KS2 SPaG elements, such as word class, tense and auxiliary verbs?
- Does our curriculum support effective transition in languages from primary to secondary school?